India and Papua New Guinea signed four MoUs Agreements in the presence of Pranab Mukherjee and Peter O’ Neil
Friday 29th of April 2016
India and Papua New Guinea have signed four Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) in various sectors to boost bilateral cooperation. The MoUs were signed in the presence of the visiting President Pranab Mukherjee and the Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Peter O’ Neil in Port Moresby, capital of Papua New Guinea.
Signed MoUs are
- MoU regarding $100 Million Credit Line: India will provide a Line of Credit of 100 million dollars for specific projects in Transport and infrastructure sectors.
- MoU in the field of Health Care and Medical Science: It covers areas such as Public Health, Health Research, Human Resources and Training, Medical Services, Disease Control and Prevention, Drug and Health Care Technologies and Environmental Health.
- MoU in the field of Agriculture: It was singed between the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and PNG University of Technology, Lae, Papua New Guinea. It delineates all round cooperation in agricultural research and training.
- MoU in the field of IT: It envisages establishment of a Centre of Excellence in Information Technology in Papua New Guinea.
- Papua New Guinea officially the Independent State of Papua New Guinea, is an Oceanian country that occupies the eastern half of the island of New Guinea and its offshore islands in Melanesia, a region of the southwestern Pacific Ocean north of Australia.
- Its capital, located along its south- eastern coast is Port Moresby.
- The western half of New Guinea forms the Indonesian provinces of Papua and West Papua.
- Papua New Guinea is the largest of all the Pacific island-nations.
- Mukherjee's visit is the first ever presidential visit from India to this country.